Osteoporosis in Richmond, VA
body changes as you get older, and your bones do too. Your bones lose
density, becoming more porous as the years go by. Loss of bone
density means your bones are growing weaker, and more prone to
fracturing or breaking. There is less new bone created to replace old
bone. This condition is known as osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis can cause painful symptoms. Fortunately, your chiropractor can help you feel better. Dr. Aaron Winston at Winston Chiropractic Care in Richmond, VA, can help treat osteoporosis.
There are a few factors that put you at risk of developing osteoporosis. According to the Mayo Clinic, you are at increased risk if you are female, older, have a smaller body frame, are of Asian or white descent, or have a family history of osteoporosis. Peri-menopausal, menopausal, and post-menopausal women are especially at risk because of lowered hormone levels.
So, how can you tell if you have osteoporosis? The definitive way to know for sure is to have a bone density test. You may also experience:
- Difficulty standing up straight
- A stooped posture
- Losing inches in height as the years go by
- Spine and back pain caused by collapsed vertebrae
- Fractured bones in your ankles, wrists, hips, or spine
There is a lot you can do to reduce the effects of osteoporosis. Remember to:
- Eat a balanced diet; this should include protein from lean meats, nuts, and legumes, at least 1200 mg. of calcium from various sources, and at least 600-800 IU of vitamin D.
- Exercise regularly; this should include weight-bearing exercises like walking, strength training, and balancing exercises.
- Prevent accidents as much as possible; keep your floors clear of any objects which could make you trip and fall, be careful on stairs, and walk on even ground as much as possible.
Your chiropractor can help you relieve the symptoms of osteoporosis. Pain relief, reducing stiffness, preserving range of motion, and keeping you mobile are all important ways of enhancing your quality of life when you have osteoporosis.